Saturday, August 20, 2011

OK so I have a problem with follow through.....

This morning I got a email from my sweet Valerie who is always trying to encourage me in my journey towards health. It was a gentle reminder that I did indeed HAVE a blog and I had apparently deserted it like I have so many of my attempts at becoming healthy.

Well not to be dissuaded by past failures, here I go again :-)

Since I last wrote here, I did indeed loose weigh for the "Wedding of the year". I wore the dress that had been 2 sizes too small and even had it taken in a bit. Hurray for the mother of the groom!

But sad for the 51 year old lady that gained it all back right after the afore said wedding!

Well here I am this year with 90 pounds to loose again, but with  a very different motivation...The man that I love (Gregory Duane) has cancer.

 It is prostate cancer and he has it in more than half of his prostate. The treatment we have chosen to start with is a strict diet, mostly plant based, to get him back to health over all, and then have him retested (hoping for a miracle that says he no longer has cancer) and then if the test shows he still needs treatment we will either have radiation or surgery. His chances for success with either treatment option will be greatly increased by his weight loss and a better, healthier lifestyle, so we are very motivated to continue down this path.

We have now been on this journey for almost 4 weeks, Greg has lost almost 20 pounds, I on the other hand was happy with my 7 pound loss.....then came vacation.....where I stayed on the diet with the exception of having maybe 4 alcoholic drinks over the course of the 5 days....well, I gained 5 pounds from those 4 little drinks!!! Five pounds!!!How does that even happen!?

So this new week has brought a new beginning..well not really a beginning, since I didn't really quit last week....I guess I can just say a continuation of what we started. Greg is doing great, loosing weigh like crazy and will be lower than he has been in years very soon....I am just continuing to plug away and trying to NOT focus on the weigh issue, but focus instead on HEALTH. We have also been exercising at least 4 days during the week, but trying to achieve 6 or 7 days.

I DO feel so much healthier! I am sleeping better, my ability to think (which is hampered by my fibromyalgia) is better and I feel good emotionally  knowing I am on my way to health....Oh by the way, Gregs blood preasure is lower than it has been for YEARS! We are trying to decide if it is because of something He IS eating or something he ISN'T eating...we are thinking it might be due to the massive amount of green things we eat!

So in the infamous words of our daughter in love, Valerie..."It tastes like plant!" is the new motto of our life...we even drink things that look like green slugged and USUALLY taste good, though I must say there have been a few things that have gone down the drain rather than past our lips!

We are challenged every day(mostly me) in cooking things that have varied and wonderful tastes and are such a far cry from what we naturally would eat or cook, but so satisfying when we manage to have a fantastic meal that is full of cancer fighting agents and also contributing to our over all state of health!

I will try to attach some of the wonderful recipes to the blog as I go.....eating plants doesn't have to be boring and I will try to encourage you to "branch" out as I make new and fun discoveries.

Continue to pray for us as we walk this journey (especially for Greg and his cancer!) and I will TRY to do a better job of including you in our adventure!

Bon-a-plant  (in case my attempt at humor flies right past you that is a play on Bon-appetit :-)  )

Joanne


No comments:

Post a Comment